At Full Circle, yes we obviously love Pilates. But we’re also major foodies, especially when it comes to the stuff that is nutritious and tasty. This time, we’re breaking down everything Butternut Squash thanks to this article here.
1. It prevents high blood pressure. Just one cup serving of butternut squash contains almost 500 mg of potassium, which can help decrease your blood pressure by counteracting the effects of sodium in your diet. By taking measures to keep your blood pressure in a healthy range you can minimize chances of developing serious health issues down the road such as heart disease and stroke.
2. It promotes regularity. And yes, we’re talking about your poop. One cup of butternut squash contains almost 7 grams of fibre, which can help prevent constipation and maintain a healthy digestive tract by supporting healthy bacteria in the gut.
3. It improves your eyesight. Butternut squash is jam packed with vitamin A which is incredible important for optimal function of those pretty peepers of yours. It’s also a great source of zeaxanthin and lutein, two powerful antioxidants that can also protect your vision.
4. It helps to keep your bones strong. Butternut squash can help your body maintain healthy bone structure, increase calcium absorption, and improve the mineral density of the spinal column. Meanwhile, vitamin C takes part in the production of collagen, which is important for building bone mass. Other minerals found in squash, such as iron, folate, and zinc, all contribute to bone health and protect against osteoporosis.
5. It boosts your immune function. Remember, it’s fall season which also means hello cold and hello flu. Since butternut squash is chalk full of Vitamin C, it’ll help protect you from those nasty bugs floating around.
6. It reduces inflammation in the body. Butternut squash has a high antioxidant content, which has often been found to be helpful for reducing inflammation in the body.
7. It aids in weight loss. With less than 100 calories, 26 carbohydrates, and almost no fat in a one cup serving. Not to mention, the fibre content alone helps you to feel full meanwhile keeping everything moving along down the line.
So yeah, it’s basically a holy gift to the world in the form of veggies.